Removed

Poets post their works-in-progress here for crit and commentary. We want poets who are serious about getting their work published.
FrankThird

Removed

#1 Post by FrankThird » 08 May 2015, 03:20

He lai

Chris

Re: Signing On

#2 Post by Chris » 08 May 2015, 11:14

Hi Frank,

This was a good poem for me to wake up to this morning over a cup of coffee...
you had me hooked by S2 with the scrambled egg hat.

The poem seems to contain all the elements of a successful recipe.

Thanks for posting,

Chris

PS. Incidentally, this poem reminded me of a news report earlier this week, about Capt Kidd's treasure being found off the African coast. :)

FrankThird

#3 Post by FrankThird » 08 May 2015, 15:12

Thanks Chris

Chris

#4 Post by Chris » 08 May 2015, 21:31

Hi Frank,

Before commenting on your poem, I did google to find out what a ball pean hammer is, and I found that it's use was appropriate in this context.

I've empathy for your ideas about the material world and all that it entails. It's as if technology and its financial rewards are now leading humanity by the nose, and insights which inspired the advance: craft, pride of creation, innovation, have become secondary to an expectation of enrichment.

Everyone wants to become the next Mark Zukkerberg and become an instant billionaire, not appreciating that riches don't necessarily buy complete self-actualization, the satisfaction of a life well-lived, and that as in all things, a balance is required.

Thank you for your patience Frank.

Chris

FrankThird

#5 Post by FrankThird » 09 May 2015, 14:12

Thanks Chris

Chris

#6 Post by Chris » 09 May 2015, 15:22

Hi Frank,

I've been undergoing a prolonged dry spell in writing for some years now, and have written nothing recently, other than re-looking at some of my earlier poems and seeing whether there remained any merit in revising. The last poem I posted here, "Revisiting Greenly Park", represented such a revision, of a an even crumbier version which I originally wrote in 2007. I find some of my stuff salvageable, while much has very little merit. Something I suppose everyone experiences.

I did take another look at your poem too, but this time seemed to hesitate briefly over "Metrical series" in S4L4.

I wonder whether a "Freestyle Multitool" would not be a more useful tool in the workshop you've put together.

Just something for you to perhaps consider.

And rest assured, the next poem I post will definitely be at Writer's Block. Although I can't really say when it will be, with Muses being in short supply nowadays.

Kind regards,

Chris

FrankThird

#7 Post by FrankThird » 09 May 2015, 17:22

Thanks Chris

Chris

#8 Post by Chris » 09 May 2015, 18:32

Ah, I think I get some of it now Frank.

My brother-in-law's a Fitter & Turner, a master craftsman, capable of top class work, and as a result, is always being head-hunted within the engineering industry.

He often refers to Micrometers, lathes and milling machines, on which he's able to turn out exceptional work. We frequently go fishing together, and we keep our Penn Reels for ages, as he's able to manufacture reel spares to keep our equipment serviceable, as spiralling foreign exchange rates have gradually made the importation of many spares to this country prohibitive.

He never refers to balls or spheres though, not that they don't represent part of his craft, but I suppose because they don't feature in the wear and tear of our Penn Reels.

He presently works for a large machine shop, and often has free time available to make a variety of fishing accessories, like rod stands, etc, from stainless steel. His stainless welds are the finest I've seen, creating the appearance of moulded castings as opposed to items merely strung together.

He's a true perfectionist and takes tremendous pride in his work.

Thanks for your explanation Frank.

Kind regards,

Chris

FrankThird

#9 Post by FrankThird » 10 May 2015, 01:16

Yes, he sounds

Chris

#10 Post by Chris » 10 May 2015, 11:14

Hi Frank,

I agree with you, that we create from what God has given us, from that which exists in its own right, and not as we would like to see it.

I keep thinking of technology in this context. It's as if the Industrial Revolution freed the common denominator in Mankind, allowing greater self-actualization, while the Technological Revolution, involving particularly the internet, is in the process of alienating us from a set of values that created the climate for reform in the first place, by providing the individual with a glut of knowledge, as a substitute for actual experience.

And you might be interested to know that Nicholas, my brother-in-law, is twenty years my junior, and he confirms that while serving his apprenticeship many years ago, Chapman's Workshop Technology became his bible. And coincidentally, his boss just happened to be a Scot as well.

Kind regards,

Chris

FrankThird

#11 Post by FrankThird » 11 May 2015, 13:37

Ahh! Chris

Chris

#12 Post by Chris » 18 May 2015, 22:21

Hi Frank,

I do appreciate that Americans would see history, and their assimilation of British culture very differently to that of the Scots, Irish, Welsh or even the English. In a not altogether dissimilar way, as South Africans, we suffered the Boer War under colonialism, which provides us historically with an affinity towards the culture, yet at the same time perhaps mixed feelings about certain attitudes which occasionally re-surface from time to time. But, has this not been the case since time began. Ultimately, I suppose humanity accepts all contributions to one's culture in the long term, forgives, forgets and moves on. Only idealistic idiots attempt to rewrite history by demolishing all symbols of past oppression (which is still in progress in the Middle East as we speak). When it comes to war, it's always a toss-up, between ideology, resources or just plain power-hungry obsessed fools.

I suppose, like you, I should feel more comfortable among Americans, but I am merely human, and much depends on how individuals treat me, rather than broad cultural issues. I'm not really biased towards particular groups.

Best wishes,

Chris

FrankThird

#13 Post by FrankThird » 19 May 2015, 01:20

Yes, well

Chris

#14 Post by Chris » 19 May 2015, 10:07

Hi Frank,

It's true what you say about the Dutch, and the Welsh for that matter, but to a certain extent, this is precisely my point. The events which brought about the Boer War are in the past, as are the atrocious abuses of human rights brought about in South Africa under the Apartheid regime, and to tar everyone with the same brush (whether they were supporters of Apartheid or not) is in itself tantamount to racial prejudice.

Frank, I did not come from an affluent background. I grew up in an area where our neighbours were coloured. My best fishing friends were non-white, and together we spent many happy years exploring all the nooks and crannies of the harbour together.

Am I Dutch, because I happen to have a Dutch surname, but have been educated in English? I don't think so! But I am certainly South African... and proud of it. That's why I didn't emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada. Europe or elsewhere, when the ANC came into power in 1994.

Present day South Africa, although predominantly black, comprises a mix of many races, including Orientals, whom I've always found very easy to get along with, because of the politeness and diplomacy which their culture bestows on them.

Frank, I prefer to judge people by their actions, not by who they say or think they are. In essence we're all from the same mould, with essentially the same human needs.

And, I do appreciate your comment as well regarding the poem I've posted. Anyhow, I'll leave it up for a couple of days before removing it and posting it elsewhere. I posted it here, because I promised you that the next poem I posted would be at this site.

Regards,

Chris